Magnatune iPhone app v1.1
This version has a number of significant improvements:
- Better audio: music streaming is with high quality AAC files (previously we streamed mp3s). The "lofi" audio mode is gone, because these AAC files are 1/2 as large as mp3 files, so there is no more need to drop quality when leaving a wifi network. Far fewer audio hiccups when listening with Edge or 3G and better audio quality.
- A search button on artist and album pages
- A new "now playing" button so you can browse music while you listen, and still go back
- members can listen to all albums w/o any commercials, by entering their name and password in the "settings" app. Members also automatically get a higher audio quality streamed to them. More about membership.
- an alphabetical index on albums and artists, so you can quickly jump within the long list.
Here is the search feature in operation. Notice that the search occurs immediately as you type, you don't need to type the entire phrase to get a match. Partial matches are supported:
Here is the new "now playing" button:
Here is the alphabetical index:
On your iPhone settings page, look for a "Magnatune" section:
and enter your membership name and password:
Posted by John Buckman on November 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM | Permalink
I would *love* to see a blackberry app.
Posted by: Topher at Dec 1, 2009 4:23:09 AM
I love the clean look and feel of the version 1.1 much more than 1.0! Great job! The cover art is nice too.
There are still a few things I would like to see:
* free membership access that allows one to:
** "heart" or bookmark tracks and albums that I like
** "wishlist" the songs I want to buy later
** advance through a track to get a quick "feel" for it
** tags for songs: both magnatune/artist derived and by listeners!!!
*** e.g. instrumental, upbeat, happy, rock (see amazon)
** perhaps personal notes for a song? (think amazon/newegg wishlists)
** links for similar songs, perhaps you might like...? others bought... (already done on the website, but not in the app)
** "popularity" (sort genre or all artists), what's playing now or most recently? You could also mix in a few lesser known tracks/albums in the list too.
** log back into the website and browse/tag/heart/buy music online
Use case: I'm a busy student looking for new music, particularly music I can license to include in non-commercial youtube videos and photo slideshows. My biggest difficulty is "finding" the music I need to match my video's "feel". The biggest problem with all new music sites now is "finding" the music
I'm tossing between last.fm, jamendo.com, pandora and magnatune.com. I'd like to use/buy from Magnatune more often, but am having trouble "finding" the songs I like/need. Being able to do this casually while on the go, then reviewing later to buy/download would be great!!!
Please keep up the great work - thanks!
Posted by: Brian at Dec 11, 2009 7:35:22 AM
Posted by: Brian at Dec 11, 2009 7:40:44 AM
How about an app for the open Android system?
Anything planned or available ?
Posted by: Ryo at Jan 16, 2010 10:41:56 AM
Just came across this, i LOVE it, thanks John!
Posted by: Jag at Jan 18, 2010 3:02:21 PM
Cool. But it requires the very latest Apple firmware be installed - which I didn't because that breaks tethering support. I'd love to install this, once I have a way to upgrade my iPhone :)
Posted by: Jon Masters at Jan 31, 2010 3:16:10 PM
Any chance of developing an app for the Blackberry?
Posted by: Nicole Redo at Feb 20, 2010 7:10:47 PM
I am liking the app so far. Any chance adding flip capability to it so it can be on its side and adjust the cover work appropriately?
Posted by: Rev at Mar 5, 2010 6:46:37 AM