I've been working with my current graphic designer to come up with a new Magnatune home page. I blogged about this a few months ago.
I like some of the things we've come up with, but I'm not falling in love with it.
So… I thought I'd blog about where we are i the process, and ask that if you are a graphics designer, you might want to put together a mockup of what you think could be done, with a chance that you could become Magnatune's new graphics designer.
Here is the current home page mockup I'm working with:
Here are some things I like about the new page:
1) we've change the "hot right now" top albums to be by-genre, rather than listing all genres together as we do on the current Magnatune home page.
2) this change allows us to make a lot more recommendations for the genre you ilk
3) the change also allows us to get rid of separately listing the genres, as we do on the current home page
4) "what we do" and "what we cost" is much clearer now
5) I like the headphone-wearing illustration
6) overall, it's less visually busy than the current magnatune home page
7) it's far more contemporary looking than the current Magnatune home page.
Some things I don't like about this mockup:
1) the color scheme -- it's quite 80s
2) the tabs don't look like tabs
3) the overall feel leaves me a bit "blah" -- not excited. I want to be excited about a new site redesign!
If you're a Magnatune fan, I'd love to hear what you think!
If you're a graphic designer, and think you can do better, please email me at john at magnatune.com. The resources you'll need can be downloaded here.